Sunday, June 8, 2014

Later Years of Lucy and Desi in the newspapers

After Lucy retired and Desi had long since exited show biz, there wasn't much to read about them in the papers...unless it involved their kids. Here are a couple of tidbits I found in the archives:

This one is regarding Lucie's wedding:



This one is regarding Desi Jr.'s wedding (sorry I didn't save their pics in the article, only Lucy and Desi. It looks like that is the only pic of Desi Senior that the paper had as it turns up in multiple stories!


I remember several National Enquirer stories about Lucy. Even though she was out of the public eye she still was able to sell scandal sheets. What did Lucy and Desi think about it? Liz Smith dishes the dirt:

And finally let's recall the first time I Love Lucy came out on video. We paid $29.95 plus postage and handling and tax for three episodes! That's over ten bucks an episode. I guess those who are complaining about the various dvd incarnations need to have a reality check. I certainly couldn't afford all of the VHS tapes at the time... or was I still using beta?!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I remember calling Columbia House to find out about the I Love Lucy videotapes. They sent me a typed (!) list of which episodes were on each tape and a flyer like the one you have displayed above. I couldn't afford to start a subscription, but I sure did dream about them!

    ReplyDelete